The mission of the Water Management Section is to sustainably manage the rich natural resources of the Cumberland River and to provide flood risk management, commercial navigation, hydropower production, water supply, environmental stewardship, and recreational opportunities to the people and businesses of the Cumberland Basin.
The Water Management Section performs the following:
- Operates the reservoir system for flood risk management, navigation, hydropower, water supply, environmental stewardship, and recreation.
- Develops river and reservoir forecasts based on observed and expected rainfall amounts and anticipated reservoir operations.
- Develops and applies computerized water quality models.
- Designs physical modifications to projects to improve water quality.
- Develops, operates and maintains computerized databases for hydrological, meteorological, water quality, and biological data.
- Evaluates environmental impacts of proposed changes to reservoir operations.