NR 14-017: Corps offers more tours of Center Hill Dam Powerhouse

Published May 30, 2014

LANCASTER, Tenn. (May 30, 2014) – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District is offering more public tours of the Center Hill Dam Powerhouse here Saturday, July 19, Aug. 16, and Sept. 6, 2014. The free guided tours of the structure are at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., and noon and are approximately 45 minutes in length.

Tour size is limited and is on a first-come, first-serve basis.  All guests including minors are required to submit a request form at least five business days prior to the tour and receive confirmation from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District.

To request a tour registration form and to learn more about the tours’ rules and details, please call the Center Hill Lake Resource Manager’s Office at (931) 858-3125, e-mail, or simply visit the Center Hill Lake website at to download the form and register.

Registered tour participants that have received an email confirmation are required to check in at the Center Hill Power Plant reception area approximately 15 minutes prior to the designated tour time where they will receive a brief introduction prior to beginning the tour. Tour groups will receive a brief introduction prior to beginning the tour.  Please note an increase in threat conditions may result in an approved tour being modified to only allow limited access or cancelled with little advance notice.

“We look forward to opening up the facility for tours and interacting with the public to educate them about hydropower and the project,” said Park Ranger John Malone.

Center Hill Dam is a multi-purpose dam on the Caney Fork River. Both the dam and lake were authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1938 and the River and Harbor Act of 1946. The project was completed for flood control in 1948. Three power generating units provide a total hydroelectric capability of 135,000 kilowatts. The project was designed by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers and built by private contractors under the supervision of the Corps. The dam, power plant and reservoir are operated by the Nashville District.

The Center Hill Power Plant and Dam are located at 270 Lancaster Road, Lancaster, TN 38569.  The Resource Manager’s Office is located at 158 Resource Lane, Lancaster, TN 38569. Center Hill Lake is located in the Cumberland River Basin, on the Caney Fork River, and covers parts of DeKalb, Putman, White, and Warren Counties in Tennessee. It controls the runoff from a drainage area of 2,174 square miles.

(The public can obtain news, updates and information from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District on the district’s website at, on Facebook at and on Twitter at The public can also visit the Lake Cumberland website at
Bill Peoples
Lee Roberts

Release no. 14-017