Public invited for Dale Hollow Dam tour on Obey River
In celebration of the 75th Anniversary of Dale Hollow Dam on the Obey River, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District invites the public for a free tour of Dale Hollow Dam Hydropower Plant in Celina, Tenn. Construction of the dam began March 2, 1942. With sister construction of civil works projects suspended due to war, Dale Hollow Dam was rushed to completion Oct. 20, 1943. The Corps fully impounded Dale Hollow Lake May 7, 1944. Work on the power house resumed in July 1946. Three Francis turbines were installed in December 1948, January 1949 and November 1953. Each unit generates 18,000 kilowatts for a total of 54,000 kilowatts, enough power to electrify a community of 45,000 and provide support to the national grid. The dam impounds a length of 61 miles of the Obey River creating Dale Hollow Lake with 620 miles of shoreline, 27,700 acres of water, and 24,842 acres of land for recreational opportunities.