US Army Corps of Engineers
Nashville District


Hunters show off their newest prize after hunting at Lake BarkleyHunting Opportunities at Lake Barkley

Hunting on property managed by the Corps of Engineers for the operation of Lake Barkley has become a tradition and is a favorite pastime for many people.  The majority of these public properties consist only of a narrow strip of land surrounding the lakes edge.  These narrow fringes of public land are not always suitable for hunting.  However there are scattered blocks of public land that can accommodate hunting for large game like deer and turkey.  Numerous smaller areas are better suited for hunting rabbits and squirrels.  In order to locate these areas and determine the best location for your sport, contact the Lake Barkley Resource Manager’s Office and speak with a Park Ranger.

Hunting licenses are required in both Kentucky and Tennessee and should be purchased for the state in which you will be enjoying these outdoor activities.  Special permits are required in both states for hunting deer, wild turkey and waterfowl.  If you plan to hunt the Western Shoreline of Lake Barkley keep in mind that this is under the management of the USDA Forest Service.  The Forest Service requires a special Hunter Use Permit in order to hunt on the Land Between The Lakes.  Please check State laws for complete information.  Hunting licenses may be purchased over the counter at Bait Stores, Gas Stations, Marinas and Department Stores, which sell sporting goods. 

Special hunting regulations apply for the Bear Creek Wildlife Management Area in Tennessee.  If you are interested in hunting the Bear Creek Area you should contact the Ranger's Office at Dover TN, at (931) 232-7724 for detailed information. 

For further information contact:

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
#1 Game Farm Road
Frankfort, KY 40601
(1-800-858-1549 or 1-502-564-3074)  (


Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency
218 Genesis Road
Crossville, TN 38555
(1-800-262-6704)  (

Duck Blind Information

Lake Barkley Duck Blind Drawing Information

In order to place a duck blind on Lake Barkley for the duration of the waterfowl season a permit may be obtained through a drawing process.  Lake Barkley holds its Annual Duck Blind Drawing on the third Monday of September each year.  The drawing is held at the shelter below Barkley Dam beginning promptly at 8 a.m. central time.  All State and Federal licenses and Waterfowl stamps are required and should be purchased prior to the drawing in order to participate.

Duck Blind Maps

Map 1 Kuttawa and Eddyville (Lyon County, Kentucky)

Map 2 Eddyville (Lyon County, Kentucky) and Cadiz (Trigg County, Kentucky)

Map 3 Cadiz (Trigg County, Kentucky)

Map 4 Cadiz (Trigg County, Kentucky)

Definitions of Map Markings

Thin red line: indicates that you must be 200 yards from the shoreline to hunt
Red shaded areas: you can not hunt waterfowl in this area

Required documents to draw for a blind

KY hunting license
KY waterfowl hunting permit
Federal Duck Stamp
Blind numbers must be displayed in the blind or it could be removed.
Blinds must be 200 yards apart.
Any blind remaining on the lake after March 1 is subject to removal or destruction without notice.

Regulations and Updates


1.   Permanent blinds, defined as those which are in place more than twenty-four (24) hours, must be registered on a permit issued by the US Army Corps of Engineers or the Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.  Permittees will be selected by a drawing at Lake Barkley.  Applicants for blind permits must be 18 years of age and present the following in order to participate in the drawing:  1) current Kentucky hunting license 2) state waterfowl permit 3) signed federal duck stamp 4) confirmation of a completed HIP survey.  Each applicant may only register one (1) blind.  Applicants may designate one (1) other person as a partner for the blind. 

2.   All registered blind locations must be marked with the appropriate permit number.  Permittees who have not constructed a blind or marked the designated location by the first Sunday in November will forfeit their permit. 

3.   Permanent blinds must be removed by the second Monday in March following the season.  After that time, the blind will be considered abandoned property and may be removed or destroyed at the expense of the permittee.  The permittee may also be issued a Title 36 citation and lose the privilege of participating in the next blind drawing. 

4.   The Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources has identified two (2) areas on Lake Barkley for predetermined blind location.  Permanent blinds may be used in these areas but must remain within ten (10) yards of the assigned numbered blind marker within the area.  The areas are described as follows: 

  • DUCK POND AREA: Beginning at the mouth of Donaldson Creek and proceeding south along the east side of the Old Cumberland River channel as marked by buoys, to a point due west of the boat ramp at Linton, then east to the Linton boat ramp, then north along the east shore of Lake Barkley to the mouth of Donaldson Creek.
  • SOUTH PRYOR CREEK AREA: All blind sites west of mile marker 72 south to the Kentucky/Tennessee State Line.  All other blinds within this described area must be temporary. 

5.   Blinds not occupied by Permittees one half (1/2) hour prior to shooting hours of any day are available for use by hunters on a first-come-first-serve basis for the remainder of that day.  Permittees shall not lock blinds to prevent use by other hunters in the absence of the permittee. 

6.   Blinds can be registered at the Resource Managers Office for 30 days after the drawing.  No permanent blinds will be registered after the cut-off date. 

7.   No blinds may be established less than 200 yards from any other blind, “red line” area or waterfowl refuge.  For the purpose of this section a stationary, anchored or drifting boat from which waterfowl are hunted is considered a blind. 

8.   No more than four (4) persons shall occupy a blind at any one time. 

9.   Designated recreation areas and access points are closed to waterfowl and coot hunting. 

10. A Land Between the Lakes (LBL) Hunter Use Permit is required for anyone hunting on LBL property or accessing blinds via LBL property.