Home > Locations > Lakes > Lake Barkley > Recreation > Hunting


Hunters show off their newest prize after hunting at Lake BarkleyHunting Opportunities at Lake Barkley

Hunting on property managed by the Corps of Engineers for the operation of Lake Barkley has become a tradition and is a favorite pastime for many people.  The majority of these public properties consist only of a narrow strip of land surrounding the lakes edge.  These narrow fringes of public land are not always suitable for hunting.  However there are scattered blocks of public land that can accommodate hunting for large game like deer and turkey.  Numerous smaller areas are better suited for hunting rabbits and squirrels.  In order to locate these areas and determine the best location for your sport, contact the Lake Barkley Resource Manager’s Office and speak with a Park Ranger.

Hunting licenses are required in both Kentucky and Tennessee and should be purchased for the state in which you will be enjoying these outdoor activities.  Special permits are required in both states for hunting deer, wild turkey and waterfowl.  If you plan to hunt the Western Shoreline of Lake Barkley keep in mind that this is under the management of the USDA Forest Service.  The Forest Service requires a special Hunter Use Permit in order to hunt on the Land Between The Lakes.  Please check State laws for complete information.  Hunting licenses may be purchased over the counter at Bait Stores, Gas Stations, Marinas and Department Stores, which sell sporting goods. 

Special hunting regulations apply for the Bear Creek Wildlife Management Area in Tennessee.  If you are interested in hunting the Bear Creek Area you should contact the Ranger's Office at Dover TN, at (931) 232-7724 for detailed information. 

For further information contact:

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
#1 Game Farm Road
Frankfort, KY 40601
(1-800-858-1549 or 1-502-564-3074)  (www.kdfwr.state.ky.us)


Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency
218 Genesis Road
Crossville, TN 38555
(1-800-262-6704)  (www.state.tn.us/twra)